Will meet in-person, on Thursdays from 3:30-5pm weekly in Blue Ash from June 8th - August 10th (not meeting July 6th)
One intake appointment with teen and parent, you may stay with your current therapist
Many insurances accepted or private pay rate of $50/week
Details of DBT
What is Dialectical Behavioral Therapy and Do I Need it?
DBT was originally created to treat chronic suicidality and borderline personality disorder; however, in recent decades it has been found to be an evidenced based treatment for most all mental health disorders! DBT is a structured approach to treatment which allows you to gain knowledge in an efficient way. DBT teaches skills across four modules: interpersonal effectiveness (communication skills), distress tolerance (short-term and long-term crisis skills), emotional regulation (how to manage emotions), and mindfulness skills (ways to stay present in life).
I find that DBT is helpful for any person who is struggling with at least three of these five areas (struggling in one or two areas can be targeted in traditional therapy):
1. socially/interpersonally - struggles within relationships you have peers, authority figures, romantic partners and/or family members
2. behaviorally - problematic behaviors, urges, and/or addictions
3. cognitively - thinking errors and cognitive distortions
4. Identity - struggling with who you are as a person
5. Emotionally - difficulties managing emotions more than peers
What is expected of me in DBT?
DBT is a more intense level of treatment than you might be accustomed to in traditional therapy. Here is what you will need to do:
1. Sign up for DBT skills class
2. Attend weekly therapy with myself or another therapist.
3. Track your moods and urges weekly on a diary card or diary card app and report them to your individual therapist.
4. Purchase DBT Skills Training Manual
5. Attend weekly skills class for one year
6. Do the homework assigned in skills class each week and process it in your individual therapy appointment
It took far longer than one year to get to where you are. It will take time and effort to achieve your life worth living!